Final Reflection

My most formative experience this semester was my venture concept. This assignment gave me an opportunity to develop a business plan on an idea that I've been thinking about for a while. Being able to identify the needs of my consumers, making a formative plan to meet those needs and explaining how my social capital and contacts would help me turn this dream into a reality was really satisfying for me. It gave me the confidence that I might actually be able to achieve it.
My most joyous experience was reading the book Mindset by Carol Dweck. The book discussed the benefits of having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset. The growth mindset accepts that they don't know everything, and are more likely to see failure as a challenge rather than a fault in their personal character. It also discussed how people who adopt the fixed mindset feel they can't improve their abilities (intelligence, personality and entrepreneurship) as they are natural. However, under the growth mindset, it argues that you can improve these abilities with applied effort and feedback. The reason I liked the book so much is because I really related to what she was saying. As I feel like I adopted the fixed mindset as an early teenager, but my mindset has changed since I've been at college.
I definitely think I've moved closer to adopting an Entrepreneurial mindset. At first I was nervous about doing an elevator pitch, and felt like I wouldn't feel comfortable talking in front of camera. However, the more I practiced, the more comfortable I felt. After receiving feedback and adjusting my approach, I was able to start to feel comfortable on camera, which was an achievement I was really proud of. This experience reflects the importance of taking action, trying, failing and becoming better each time. Which is a core practice is becoming an Entrepreneur.
4) What is the one recommendation you would make to the students who are going to journey down this path in the future? What would you recommend they do to perform best in this course? What would you recommend they do to foster that mindset?
Hi Justin,
ReplyDeleteNice job on your final reflection! It seems like you were able to take away a lot of valuable things from this class, especially because it helped you further develop an idea you already had. I can see how the venture concept assignment would really help out with that as it forces you to really think through the logistics of the venture. I’m glad you were able to get so much out of this class!