Celebrating Failure

1.) This semester I've had to deal with the failure of my rugby team. After making the playoff's last year, I was hoping we'd be able to make it this year, and possibly go even further in the competition (semi-finals). I was also made Captain, which meant I was even more emotionally invested in assuring we did well. At the beginning of the season I implemented a new and improved system, but it took a while for the players to get used to it. We lost our first game to Alabama, which meant we had to win every other game. We won the next two games against Ole Miss and South Carolina and I was confident we would win our last match to make the playoffs. Unfortunately, we lost to Auburn by 5 points. I was devastated and the season was over. I knew I had other years to try and win the competition, but I was upset for the seniors that were leaving this year.

2.) I learned that even if you really want something, more than anything, it might not work out. And you can either let it consume you, and destroy you, or you can accept it and move on. For a couple days after the game I was really upset, however, I made peace with myself,  I knew I did everything I could as a captain to try and lead the team and win the game. Since, I've continued to work hard in practice and prepare for next year. 

3.) Since I've joined UF I've had a huge change of perspective on failure. Before, if I failed I believed it was because I wasn't good enough. I'd tell myself you should've done more, why aren't you as good as the others, what am I doing wrong. However, now when I fail I see it as a challenge, because it shows you still have something to learn and it gives an opportunity for self-improvement. My mindset has changed from a fixed-mindset to a growth mindset, which has made failure a lot easier to deal with. I am now much more likely to take on riskier decisions in order to grow myself. 

Comments