What's next
Step 1: The different market I'm going to target is less affluent consumers.
Step 2: My service offers customized travel experiences abroad, so most of my consumers are going to be wealthy. However, to target a less affluent segment, I will have to adapt my service so its not as expensive. To do this, instead of offering customized trips abroad I will adapt my service so these individuals won't have to pay for plane travel (usually the most expensive part). So instead of an individual going to London from the US, they will instead travel to South Carolina to stay with friends who go to USC. Or, instead of an individual from London going to New York, they will travel to Dublin by train to stay with a group of people there. This will make my service much more affordable for those who don't have much disposable income.
Step 3: The two people I interviewed were students from my high school, Matt and Sebastian. They both had to go to a community college, as they couldn't afford to go away for college. They both also work full time jobs along with school. When I told them about my service, they said it would be something they would be interested in. Both said they couldn't afford going overseas, but would love to connect with people in other states and learn about the lives they live there. Matt said he would love to go and stay with friends I have in New York, and do a similar trip I did this summer (Manhattan, to Long Island and then to the Hampton's). Sebastian said he'd be interested in staying with my friends who go to USC in South Carolina. He said he'd heard a lot about 'four points' the 50 bars they have at their downtown area. He's always wanted to go but has never had anyone to stay with, but my service would allow him to do this!
Step 4: I learned a lot after interviewing my two friends. In all my previous assignments I thought that going after a less affluent market would be out of question, because my focus was international experiences. However, I've learned that these consumers want to do more travelling in their respective countries, especially if they get to stay with people who live their, and know the city well.
This surprised me a lot, and has made me realize that I could adapt my service to an international section and a national section. Thus, people who don't have to money to have an international experience can still have a unique, personal experience.
Comments
Post a Comment