Venture Concept #1
My service plans to meet
the needs of many young people across the world, ambitious I know, but I
believe my service can satisfy this need and provide great value to the client.
This need is to connect with other people, learn about different cultures,
learn more about yourself and have an experience of a lifetime. The reason my
target segment (young people – more specifically college students) has these
needs is because of the world becoming more globalized, the age of living
within the limits of your birthplace are gone, the world is expanding, becoming
more multicultural and the sooner you can understand these cultures and other
people, the more of an advantage you’ll have. One force creating this need is
the trend to spend more on experiences rather than materialistic things. More
and more young adults would rather spend money on an experience, like study
abroad, music festivals, and vacations than materialistic things like a new TV
or an Xbox. This provides an opportunity to create customized experiences that
will change the perspective of the individual. Providing an invaluable learning
experience, which will enable them to understand other people and other
cultures a lot better than they did before. Thus, this market is defined
demographically, rather than geographically. It is dependent on one’s openness
to experience, interest in meeting others, curiosity about the outside world,
craving for growth and if they are financially able to afford such an
experience.
Customers are currently
satisfying this need by vacations; however, it doesn’t allow them to immerse
themselves into another culture. As they are visiting as a tourist, so they can’t
understand the culture, the mindset or the societal norms and traditions.
Instead, they scam the surface, thinking they’ve satisfied their need to see
new things, meet new people and understand other societies. However, they haven’t.
All they’ve done is go to a new place and look around and go to a few
attractions and restaurants that are there for the tourists. My service will be
providing an opposite experience, in which trip’s core activities will be
focused around immersing them into the culture, meaning they will do what the
locals do, understand how they live, and then compare it to your own. I believe
this opportunity is huge, and will only continue to expand, especially
considering the emphasis placed on travel by young people. I think this window
of opportunity will continue to be open until someone else provides this
service.
My service will offer
customized cultural experiences for customers. How it works is the customer
comes to me with a need: to travel to a new place and understand their culture.
This need may vary in where they want to go, how they want to spend their time
(partying or learning), what type of accommodation they want to stay in
(apartments, university housing, or a house) and what type of area they want to
stay (rural, suburban or in the city). I will then use my social capital to
find a place for them to stay suiting their needs. I will plan out their entire
trip; where they stay and what they do. Where the unique value comes in is they
will be staying with my friends (the locals) and will be living how they live.
This will allow for a much more inclusive, cultural learning experience. I have
friends in all over the world that would help start up the business. All over
London, all over England (Manchester, Hull, Reading, Leeds, Essex, Liverpool,
Birmingham, Sussex and plenty more) Paris, Berlin, Austria, Dubai, Australia
(Sydney and Melbourne) Iceland, Florida, New York, Virginia, Massachusetts,
North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and many more states. I would use this
capital to match the client to a county of their choice and pay the hosts a
small fee to let them stay with them. I would then plan out the vacation to
suit their needs. If the hosts wanted to stay with the client afterwards, I wouldn’t
even pay the host a fee, as the client would host next, allowing for a mutually
beneficial scenario.
The way I would make money is by taking a small fee of the
total cost. This fee would start of at around 10-15% to allow me to make some
money to reinvest in the business. Once it starts getting popular and I get the
website and app running instead of relying on word of mouth I can cut this
percentage down to around 5-8%. I would market my business using social media.
This form of marketing suits my target segment – young adults. Due to the mass number
of users in this demographic, social media is changing traditional advertising
towards the digital age. This will allow me to reach a huge number of penitential
clients for free!
The reasons customers
would switch to my service would be to have a better travelling experience. Would
you rather go and stay in a hotel and go to the London eye, Big Ben and houses
of parliament and not meet many people, Or would you rather go and stay with
people who go to the University of Central London or London School of Economics
and go out to different clubs with them and meet a load of university students?
Those that choose the latter would be
the type of people who would switch to my service, the people who want to learn
something from another culture instead of just travelling as a tourist. My
competitors would be travel agencies who plan vacations for clients, however, their
weakness is they cannot provide a travel experience where the clients go and
stay with locals at a cheaper cost. Instead they use expensive hotels which doesn’t
provide as much value for my target segment. I would start of the business by
creating an app and a website where clients can customize their experience by
location and then I can get in contact with the hosts and plan out their trip
suited to their needs. Eventually I would want paid media reps in each of the
represented areas to market and advertise the service.
My most important
resource is my social capital along with myself. My social capital allows me to
start of the business at a low cost. And my cultural experiences I’ve had along
with my emotional intelligence makes me the best person to provide this service.
In five years, I plan to have reps in the countries offered and have given many
people life-changing experiences. In 10 years, hopefully I’ve connected people
all over the globe, nurturing understanding, personal growth and cultural
understanding.
Comments
Post a Comment