Forming an Opportunity Belief
1.) There are a lot of unmet needs and wants in the world. I believe that one potential need of not only myself, but many other students here at UF could be meet. I have a belief that an opportunity may exist in a tutoring service.
2.) The unmet need of my potential customer is not having personal help with classes they are struggling in. I'm sure this need has been experienced by all students here at UF at some point in their academic career. I believe this need has always existed. But after witnessing students struggling in class, even if they have the provided resources (textbook, study edge ect.) to succeed, I believe there is an opportunity that arises to help these students. UF offers some tutoring services, but it's only for selected math classes, and they are usually fully booked. Furthermore, other tutoring services are usually overpriced, aren't class specific and don't give you the correct information to succeed in the exams. My tutoring service would use students who have passed the course and know how to pass the exams and know the material. There are plenty of qualified students who would be willing to help for some cash. It would be a self-pricing service, in which each tutor could for a class and set their own price. Considering students are willing to pay $50 a month for study edge, which is a non personal tutoring service, I believe students would be willing to pay for one on one help.
3.) The prototypical customer would be a student in a class like Calculus, Organic Chemistry, Financial Accounting or any other tough class at UF, in which the material is so hard that getting one on one help is really beneficial to understanding the material.
4.) Interview number 1: Chris Cummings, Sophomore
Chris liked the idea of having a service in which a qualified student could help him understand material. He told me he really struggled in Survey of Calculus last semester, and despite buying study edge, craved one on one help to show him where he was going wrong on specific problems. He told me if he would've been aware of this service, he would've been willing to pay up to $50 for help before each exam. I'm sure a qualified student would've helped him for such a price! He also liked the idea of having help from students who have passed the course already.
Interview number 2: Nick Perillo, Sophmore
Nick also really liked the idea of a student tutoring service. He is an engineering major and struggled with classes like Physics 2 and Calculus 3. Although Nick said his tutoring needs for these classes were met by Study Edge and practice exams, he would be interested in tutoring for those classes for some extra cash or in his words beer money. He said he would be willing to help for 3-4 hours for around $30-$50.
Interview number 3: Mic Lucic, Junior
Mic was skeptical of how the tutoring service would be run. How would people know this service existed? Would it be a website or an app? Isn't that what TA's and professors are for? What if students forget the material? These were questions I hadn't really thought about yet. However, he did say he thought the opportunity existed, and said there were classes where this service would've been a huge help for him. He also said he would be open to tutor other students what he'd learnt for some cash.
5/6.) I learned that this is a need that a lot of students experience at UF. Whether it be needing tutoring for a tough class or being a tutor to earn some extra cash, all 3 of the people I interviewed would have been interested in this service. I also learned that for this service to be implemented, it would require strong use of social media and word of mouth to get it out there. As I don't have the resources to pay for advertisements. The most surprising thing I learned came from Mic, how would I ensure the 'qualified students' knew the material and weren't just pretending to know it to make some extra cash.
7.) I believe a lot of my opportunity is still there, students would be willing to pay for a service in which successful students help them pass the classes they are struggling with. I also think that the tutor students would be willing to assist struggling students if they are paid adequately.
I think the new opportunity is definitely more accurate, I would have to find a way to ensure the tutors actually knew the information they are teaching. I would have to find a way to market this new service and make it appealing comparable to other tutoring services. And lastly I would need to discover what platform to offer the service (social media, website, app ect.)
I believe Entrepreneurs should always adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback. If the customer feels they could have made the good/service more valuable then its likely to apply to other customers as well. Accepting feedback is the most effective way to encourage innovation and create more value for consumers. Constant adaptation is necessary to stay ahead of the game, and survive in the future.
Hi Justin,
ReplyDeleteIt was very interesting reading your opportunity post! I think it’s great that you chose one that most of us here at UF can relate to. The information from your interviews really helped to form the opportunity even more. Knowing how much students would actually be willing to spend and what type of qualifications they are looking for in a tutor would really help to shape a solution.
Hey Justin,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your opportunity as it is something we all can relate to here at UF. I agree that although there are sufficient tutoring services already, they are typically done in large groups rather than one-on-one. Some students get the information in class but feel that they need further explanation or clarification, and in those cases, private tutoring services would benefit them a lot. I also liked how you also interviewed with the perspective of the tutor in mind. In this case, you opportunity is not only satisfying the individuals receiving the tutoring, but also the once who serve as the tutors and make some extra cash.